Just some of the stuff going on in our village

Chicken Co-op
Community Bus
First responders
Intervillage Sports
Metfield Market
Metfield Stores
Metfield United Charities
Oil Buying Consortium
Parents & Todlers
Parish Council
Village Hall
Village History
Village Welcome Pack
Writers in Metfield
Women's Institute
LINKS to local villages
How to advertise here



Metfield Village History

Hanging in the Village Hall in Metfield are a number of photographs taken of Metfield people
and places, collected and put up when the new Village Hall was built.

We hope to scan these images, eventually.

And do give us any of your old photographs, and we can add them.

Every effort will be made to give correct captions but if anyone feels we have made a
mistake or that they can add more information, please do get in touch via this website at



Ballroom Dancing Queen’s Procession 1957

Driver: Stanley Loane
In the float, from left to right:
Shirley Cutts (Gower)
June Cutts (Ludbrooke) behind
Rosemary Debenham (Savage) Queen
Joan Runnacles (Cutts)
Lucy Jay behind

Group of three boys on right:
Michael Hubbard (left) and Chapman brothers Anthony (middle) and Robin (right).


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Metfield like this:

METFIELD, a village and a parish in Hoxne district, Suffolk. The village stands 2¼ miles SE of the river Waveney, at the boundary with Suffolk, and 4½ NE by E of Harleston r. station; and has a post office under Harleston. The parish comprises 2,162 acres. Real property, £3,762. Pop., 663. Houses, 141. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Metfield Hall, belongs to Mrs. Rayley. The living is a donative in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £80.* Patrons, the Parishioners. The church is old but good: and consists of nave and chancel with a tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed national school with £26 a year, and some small charities.